Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Yahoo's integrated phone service

Yahoo has stated that it will be coming out with a new integrated phone service called oneConnect. This amazing service will enable integration among instant messaging, social networks (like facebook), and email. This technology will change many aspects of how we live our lives. We will instantly be able to check friends status' on facebook. Instead of having to be at your personal computer to instant message or check status' you will be able to do this walking down the street.

In some ways I wonder how good this will be for our society. Will our society become too dependent on always having to check status' on facebook whenever we want? What will be next? Will it turn into a viscous cycle in which we are constantly checking on updates? I have to wonder how good it is for us to always be available. I remember a time when we did not have cell phones. It was not necessary to be able to get in touch with someone in an instant. Now, people expect to reach someone whenever they need them. It used to be people would go out to dinner with friends and talk to each other. Now, you see friends eating dinner and everyone is on their cell phone. So, how good is this? Today, virtually everyone can be reached whether they are vacationing, shopping, or eating dinner.

Technology will continue to shape our society. We must learn to use it to its full potential but we also must make sure it is changing our lives for the better.

3 comments:

Tetsu said...

The day before I started by vacation, I told my co-workers "Don't call me, don't found me, I don't exist, and I cannot be reached." Well, of course it doesn't work, at least not anymore.

At first, it was the invention of telephone that brought people a little closer. Then it was pager, the first generation of mobile phone (I truly believe it weigh more than today's laptop computer, just a thought), and today's multi-function cell phone. We are constantly busy with work, personal life, and being connected; a form of communication.

Sometimes, it makes me feel that people are doing that subconsciously. They don't what to be left out. They don't want to be seen as "living in the stone age".

I still believe in Confucius' philosophy. Too excessive on one side is not good.

Ranjeet Deshpande said...

I totally agree with you on the cell phone thing. Nowadays there is hardly any privacy, everyone expects the other side should respond right away or in return they would say, what happened, why didn’t you pick you phone, I called you several times etc..

Plus I think some folks are getting obsessive with the technology. I know a few, they check their emails after every minute, I am not kidding, they do check their emails that often and now with blackberry, I-Phone’s, etc., this obsession can be achieved very easily. This is obsessive compulsion and I hope something similar has not started with the new technology like facebook, etc.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, but its not always outsiders interfering with personal life, it often happens with personal life interrupting work life. My wife feels that she should just call me throughout the day to ask me mundane questions, just because she happened to be thinking about something right then. We often get so use to being able to reach someone instantly, that we may fog the line between what is important and what is convenient.